Kent Beck gave a talk at QCON about current trends and where they are going. He covers these trends in the following themes:
1. Communication: Information sharing (twitter), information collecting (logs, recordings), more frequent releases
2. Simplification: flat data(Amazon simple db, Google large table), Data parallel(Hadoop, Map reduce), Screen-less computing
3. Unintended consequences: Energy usage (small devices, sustainability), privacy (privacy is going away)
4. Disappearing: “Free” or differed revenue model (ads are out, need to pay for things we find valuable), reuse, status
5. New Approaches: design (good design valuable to enable frequent releases), tests (automated, need to catch mistakes early)
Kent wraps up by asking what have I accomplished in the past years and what will I accomplish in the years to come?
This presentation is available on InfoQ at http://www.infoq.com/presentations/just-you-wait